Is classed as a product, item, tool or peice of equipment that assists an individual with a disability to perform functional tasks.
According to Vanderheiden, (1987) as cited in (Cook & Hussey, 2005), "a device provides benefits to the individual independant of the individual's skill level"
Assistive Technology covers
- Assistive vs Rehabilitative or educational
- Low to high technology
- Hard and soft technology devices
- Appliances vs tools
- Minimal to maximal
- General vs specific
- Commercial to custom
One item that was introduced in a recent tutorial on Assistive Technology:
I though that this was a wonderful peice of equipment.
- Available in different Sizes - Jelly Bean is a robust switch, with 4 interchangable colour tops. Red, blue, green and yellow. The base plate can easily be mounted to many structures. Diameter: 63 mm Activating force: centre 100g, outside edges 50g Connector: 3.5 mm mono plug Lead: 1.8M
- The cost of this product is - $107.65
- The functions it performs - It performs patient interface devices that can be used with many existing nurse and emergency call systems and SENSOTROL controllers.