Monday 24 October 2011

Participation In Occupation II Blog 13 Work vs Labour

Work Vs Labour:
The affordances material discussed in the previous blogs leads into "work" I believe personally that work is something we do that occupies our time. How I occupy my time with Jewellery Making is convenient and cost effective. I do not class it as Labour, as it is not labour intensive. Work to me means recognition of a culture and history of  which corresponds to working and workmanship. An outcome is formed from this work and the time that was invested.  I feel a sense of satisfaction in engagement and a connection to my chosen activity.
                                                        http://hr.ucsb.edu/worklife/
  • "Work is the activity which corresponds to the unnaturalness of human existence, as compared to:
  • Labour is the activity which corresponds to the biological process of the human body " (Arendt,1958).
                                                           www.leadtheteam.net



Craft and the workmanship of certainty and risk: I think this reading relates to how I see the world and it depicts a rhyme/reason scenario, and it evokes a sense of nostalgia, memories and personal meaning to the person doing the work. I find that doing is just as important as being shown how to do an activity, a flow of steps that leads into another step and links to a final product. My mind is clear and focused on the task at hand, I am not in a hurry to finish, but would rather take my time and enjoy the process. As mentioned by Geis, (1987).













No comments:

Post a Comment